The term Orthopaedic has origin in two Greek words ‘ortho ‘ which means straight and ‘pais ‘ meaning child . So in ancient times these doctors used to treat the children who had bone deformities. Later on it included all the bone ailments and problems of tissues joined the bones, joint problems, problems of spine of both children and adults and it involved surgery also if needed. In short, you can put it in this way that Orthopaedic Surgery is to heal the ailments regarding musculoskeletal structure of the human body. If you want to know about the best orthopaedic surgeon in India you must have an overview of the scenario.
Conditions for Orthopaedic Surgery
An orthopaedic surgeon performs many types of surgeries. But you must have knowledge of the common conditions when surgical treatment can help you. An orthopaedic surgery is done to treat torn ligaments, cartilage, sports injuries or work related injuries, sciatica, some types of arthritis, osteoporosis, dislocations and fractures of bones, ruptured disks, abnormalities of toes and fingers, bow leg, unequal size of legs, tendon injuries, back pain, bone tumour, growth abnormalities, cerebral palsy and muscular dystrophy etc .
Types of Orthopaedic Surgery
There are numerous types of orthopaedic surgery. Before knowing about the best orthopaedic surgeon in India you should also know about some common types of orthopaedic surgery so that you yourself can have knowledge about the type of surgery you need and in effect you can decide the best orthopaedic surgeon in India to heal your specific ailment. Some common surgeries done by an orthopaedic surgeon are arthroscopy, fusion, internal fixation, joint replacement, soft tissue repair, and osteotomy. Each type is specific and different.
Specifications of Different Types of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Arthroscopy is done with special camera and equipment. By this the problems inside a joint is first diagnosed through images and then treated.
- Fusion is a sort of welding of bones. In fusions with bone grafts and internal tools like a metal rod bones are fused together. It is done mostly to make a single solid bone and thus to heal the injury.
- Internal Fixation is actually a method by which broken pieces of bone are held in proper position by the help of metal plates, pins, or screws during the healing process of the bone.
- In Joint Replacement a damaged or arthritic joint is healed by its total or partial replacement with artificial joint. This artificial joint is called prosthesis.
- Osteotomy is the correction of the deformities in bones. By repositioning the bone after cutting these deformities are treated surgically.
- Soft Tissue Repair is actually the healing of the soft tissues like torn tendons or ligaments through surgical measures.
Best Orthopaedic Surgeons in India
India has grown hugely in the last few decades in terms of medical treatment. The land has some of the best orthopaedic surgeons in India and the best hospitals. You need to shortlist the doctor you want to visit, get an appointment or even free online consultation at times.