When you are planning your wedding reception, you want to ensure that the music you choose will be the perfect blend of you and your partner. What genre do you two prefer? Do you like country, pop music or rock-n-roll? Or a little bit of it all? What music do your guests prefer? Are your guests into dancing, or do they mostly like to converse with soft music playing in the background?
One way to determine an answer to these questions is to have a music preference on the invitation to your wedding. Your guests can include their favorite music genre with their RSVP; this will help narrow down the choices of music.
Next, you are going to need to interview some bands. When interviewing potential bands, here are a few important questions you need to ask:
- What is your band’s style? This is an important question. If you are looking for a contemporary band to play at your elegant “cocktail party” like reception while your guest converse, you are not going to want a “head-banging” rock-in-roll band playing in the background! This just wouldn’t mesh well with your guests.
- Ask the band if you and your fiancé can come and watch them perform at one of the weddings they have This will give you an idea of how the band performs and what you can expect from their performance at your wedding if you choose to go with them.
- Ask the band if they are familiar with the venue you have chosen. Do they have adequate power cords, amplifiers, and other necessary equipment? Do they have a backup generator if needed? If they are not interested in checking out the venue, then check them off your list of potential bands because they are not serious about giving you a performance to your liking.
- Can this band perform songs of special request? If the band members state they can, but will need a little time to practice or arrange for the song, ask if it is going to cost any extra money.
- Ask how many members of the band usually perform. How many vocalists are there? If this is a large band, is there an option to only have some band members perform in order to stay within your budget?
- Does the band have all the equipment needed to perform the songs you are going to request them to play? For instance, do you need to rent a piano or any extra speakers? Is there going to be a lot of musical equipment that might need covering up? This is supposed to be a beautiful event, not an electronics display.
- Does the band offer lighting and or other special effects (such as fog machine) as part of their quoted price, or does this cost extra?
Once you find the perfect band to go with the perfect venue for your wedding reception, you should be well on your way to planning a wedding that will be truly an event to remember.